I ran 2 more tests. The paper bonded well to the veneer using poly-urethane glue so I created 2 more test layups. The first test piece already had the paper backing glued on. I sanded the paper backing with 80grit sand paper to help with adhesion and epoxied it to a layup same as above. I’ll call this piece LAYUP 1.
The second test piece was an all wet layup. The difference in this layup was I poly-urethaned the paper onto the copper and immediately epoxied the paper/copper to the layup. I’ll call this piece LAYUP 2.
I pressed the samples at 40psi for 3-4 hours. Then let the samples cure at room temp for a couple days.
Both pieces looked like they bonded very well. I started to aggressively bending and flexing both pieces. They held extremely well. LAYUP 1 did start to delam in a few spots after some aggressive bending. LAYUP 2 showed no signs of delam at all.
You can see a few places where the copper start to delam. I was able to get a screw driver and lift the copper up fairly easily.
With a little coaxing I was able to peel the copper off cleanly.
This sample looked very solid, no signs of delam even after flexing and bending.
Extreme bending, still no delam.
I was able to pry the screw driver under a corner of the copper and was able to start peeling it back. (NNOoooo!!)
Then I was able to peel it away with not much effort.
So after this last round of tests I think it’s fair to say the copper veneer will not provide a strong safe bond for a ski or snowboard. A few hard landings on hard pack or ice could cause a delam, known as the slap test.
Oh well on to the next!